VPN Server using LINUX vs. MicroSoft

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Railtracer

Re: VPN Server using LINUX vs. MicroSoft

Post by Railtracer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Installing Softether VPN Server manager in Windows is very straightforward, the installer handles the entire process by itself. You don't specifically need to use a windows server os for Softether. Like I said before though, just use the windows installers for softether and it does all of the configuration for you, and registers the service to launch at system startup, it is much faster than doing a linux server build. Otherwise, all of the regular tutorials on the website for how to configure the server are the same between windows and linux so fater that you should be able to do your speed testing just fine.

As far as specs, most generic specs should work fine for a test server, dual/quad proc, 4 gigs of ram, any small drive that can load windows and softether at the same time, 20/30 gigs?

If you are using Hyperv as your hypervisor, it is still ideal to have two seperate nics, one dedicated for the machine, one dedicated for the virtual hub with tcp protocols disabled. The NIC used for the bridge should have mac address spoofing enabled, which is the equivalent to promiscuous mode for softether servers needs, it will tell you about this when you go to build the bridge in the softether server.

There are performance implications with these configurations, so this could be where you saw some disparity between speeds. I can't recall all of the preferred configuration options here so you do still want to go through the softether tutorials on the main website which lay out best practice configs. You will have to translate what they mean to you on the hypervisor side though, they are not all the same. I have only run softether under hyperv.