Setting up Routing between a Virtual Hub and the Physical LAN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Pramukh

Setting up Routing between a Virtual Hub and the Physical LAN

Post by Pramukh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:51 am

Hi Team,

I would like to know how to set up routing between a Virtual Hub in the SoftEther VPN Server and a Physical LAN interface which is attached to the same Server.

Is anyone out there who has already achieved this?

Any helpful info is highly appreciated! :)

Thanks.
Pramukh

Railtracer

Re: Setting up Routing between a Virtual Hub and the Physical LAN

Post by Railtracer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm

It sounds like you are describing a Local bridge. If that is true, you need to go to the local bridge settings in the bottom left of the main configuration page for your server in the server manager. Select your intended virtual hub in the drop down box, and then select your physical LAN adapter from the drop down below it and hit the create local bridge button.

One thing to keep in mind, is that it is best to have a dedicated network interface for use with the softether server, and if you are using a dedicated interface for it, it is best to turn off other network protocols on it like ipv4 and ipv6 because they will not be used and could cause interference. It is acting like a generic layer two routing device, so there is no need for it to receive an ip address, make sure to do this if you are using a dedicated network interface for softether as it will give you the best performance.

Pramukh

Post by Pramukh » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:12 am

Hi Railtracer,

Thank you so much for your reply. What I need to do is somewhat different. I want to create a virtual hub that the VPN users will connect to. (They will be on a separate virtual network with its own DHCP server and different IP address space)

From that, their traffic will need to be "Routed" to the physical network. This is different from the local bridge since "Bridging" will make the VPN clients be a part of the same Physical LAN.

Have you any ideas on how this could be achieved? :)

Regards,
Pramukh

Railtracer

Post by Railtracer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 am

I am hoping I understand your end goal here. You will have the virtual hub for those users on a virtual network running its own ip space, and you want that space to be able to connect to your physical lan space. I'm going to assume that you are using the virtual dhcp function built into softether. I think you could accomplish what you want via Layer 3 routing.

I am also going to assume that you have another virtual hub that has a local bridge to the physical lan space. What you want to do is create a virtual layer 3 switch. Inside of that switch you need two virtual interfaces, one is an ip address in the same network space as your physical network, and the other is an ip address in the virtual network space. Both interfaces need to be pointing towards their respective virtual hub. For example, Say you have your virtual hub for your vpn users named vpn users, and then another virtual hub named physical hub, and that their ip ranges are 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 respectively. I would configure a layer 3 switch that has these two interfaces:

192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0 VPN Users
192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 Physical Hub

When you turn on the virtual layer 3 switch it will link the two virtual hubs through those two interfaces, you will see them as sessions inside the hubs. If any requests come through the hub with 192.168.1 in the destination network it will route it through the 192.168.1.254 interface in the layer 3 switch. This should allow any vpn connected sessions in the 192.168.0 network to have a routable path to the 192.168.1 network. It's going to take some experimenting, I am not 100% sure this will do what you want. Are you setting the physical networks router as the gateway from the virtual dhcp server on your virtual network hub? With the available layer 3 route this might work fine, I am not sure. Let me know if this helps or is off the mark.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:41 am

I think SecureNAT is also useful for you.