Problem: DNS stops working after connecting to Softether VPN server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
robertroos

Problem: DNS stops working after connecting to Softether VPN server

Post by robertroos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm

I have been working for a while with the Softether VPN server but all of a sudden I got an issue with DNS after my client connects to the server.
I am able to establish a connection succesfully and access the internal network behind the VPN server.

Im also able to access IP adresses on the Internet but I cannot resolve any hostnames anymore. Softether provides a DHCP lease without any DNS and gateway configuration. So it can t be a routing problem nor an incorrect DNS setting.

It seems that something in the network stack gets messed up. Ive also tried other VPN clients on other systems which produce the same result. So I think its something server related. I just updated to the latest server version but the problem still persists.

Softether 4.24 is installed on an Ubuntu Xenial server. Also the clients are currently using the 4.24 version.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

robertroos

Re: Problem: DNS stops working after connecting to Softether VPN server

Post by robertroos » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 pm

OK, just found the culprit. I'm using a certain type of netwerk card on various clients. It seems that the driver was causing problems. So the assumption that it was a server side problem was wrong. Problem solved.

user1234

Re: Problem: DNS stops working after connecting to Softether VPN server

Post by user1234 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am

Can I know what modifications you made to network card to work fine?