First Concen trate on writing GOOD soft ware

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
gimmEE77break

First Concen trate on writing GOOD soft ware

Post by gimmEE77break » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:22 am

1) This forum is not pro privacy since it disallows all tor connections as "blacklisted" -My guess is they really want to trace your activities?

2) The vpngate web page is filled with pages and pages of technical talk and diagrams which most people are not interested in reading nor can they understand unless they are sysops.

3) First concentrate on writing software that actually works. Your packa ge for windows rebooted my machine on install. It does not unins tall cleanly and your English is poor since the package does not even list an uninstall.exe file. You wrongly put it under "set up.exe" -poor English. It leaves a ton of registry entries and other garbage on uninstall.

4) THe program does not work out of the box-your servers do not assign an IP to the client which is left with 169.xx.xx.xx. First write good software, then brag about it. Not the other way around.

I'd be suprised if this post survives, since your policy here is pro censorship and antiprivacy. Do you check your vpn gate servers for honeypots? I wonder.

Have a nice day , let me know when u learn to write software that works and you test it adequately before wasting peoples' time.

BoredAus

Re: First Concen trate on writing GOOD soft ware

Post by BoredAus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:44 am

gimmEE77break wrote:
> 1) This forum is not pro privacy since it disallows all tor connections
> as "blacklisted" -My guess is they really want to trace your
> activities?
>

I think the essence of a VPN Gate server and the project itself is to ease the deployment of such services rather than leaving many things unconfigured for the end user to figure out how to configure a VPN server when they merely just want to share the internet connection. The use of VPN with Tor does not guarantee that the connection is stable let alone one can get good speeds through such services. It also heavily weighs in on the volunteers to make do with such configuration if need be, thus complicating issues further down.

The purpose of VPN Gate is not to really trace and log one's activities, I am sure with enough paranoia nobody would be using public VPN services as they tend to get abused by script-kiddies and the sort usually. The tracing and logging of one's activities is to generally protect the volunteers whom kindly donated their connections to the rest of the world. Most volunteers I'd dare say would not care to read the actual logs unless if for instance they found out that they are under scrutiny by their local authorities.

Let's not also forget that Tor wasn't so secure as you would imagine. There was a case where the end nodes of Tor could be used to sniff traffic.

Again if privacy is paramount, invest in your own VPN/VPS. Public VPN is probably as secure as any old random public proxy servers that are free and usually abundant.

gimmEE77break wrote:
> 2) The vpngate web page is filled with pages and pages of technical talk
> and diagrams which most people are not interested in reading nor can they
> understand unless they are sysops.
>

In most cases people would not really bother reading all that, they would probably read and then skim the rest. If people wanted details, there's the likes of wikipedia, et. al. Hence this is why the VPN Gate project has been simplified to an extent that anyone can virtually click away in order to setup a volunteer VPN node without having to read 100s of technical papers and ending up becoming some Bachelor of network engineer.

Considering that SoftEther VPN and the VPN Gate project are basically an University project, you'd assume only geeks would understand such technical jargons being thrown around and would be willing to read technical papers so that virtually all bases has been covered. I think the project itself has done pretty well so far in trying to clarify VPN into a more average user's level rather than throwing around technical papers and hoping nobody would bother reading it.

If an average user wants privacy, they should seek out appropriate avenues and to read the documentation. It is not rocket science for otherwise this would be great at filtering out those less capable of comprension.

As with simplifying things, with every bit of simplification there is almost always a guaranteed extra idiot for it.

gimmEE77break wrote:
> 3) First concentrate on writing software that actually works. Your packa
> ge for windows rebooted my machine on install. It does not unins tall
> cleanly and your English is poor since the package does not even list an
> uninstall.exe file. You wrongly put it under "set up.exe" -poor
> English. It leaves a ton of registry entries and other garbage on
> uninstall.
>

The software actually works, otherwise you would not expect to see so many volunteer servers available. Besides you have failed to clarify your issues with the software. FUD much?

Mind you, the software is written by people whom does not have English as their first language. It is otherwise considerably easy to understand if you are more tolerant rather than being picky on every small little flaw there is. The lack of language contributors and all further complicates the issue. Besides, their (University of Tsukuba, Japan) English is decent enough, probably better than some average native English speaker's English.

There is also nothing wrong with using the same executable to uninstall a program. It is called 'simplification'. These days on windows, it does not require one to go into command prompt to execute setup.exe in order to uninstall a program. Surely there is an entry under Programs and Features or something like that.

Why are you arguing over a virtually free lunch?

gimmEE77break wrote:
> 4) THe program does not work out of the box-your servers do not assign an
> IP to the client which is left with 169.xx.xx.xx. First write good
> software, then brag about it. Not the other way around.
>
> I'd be suprised if this post survives, since your policy here is pro
> censorship and antiprivacy. Do you check your vpn gate servers for
> honeypots? I wonder.
>
> Have a nice day , let me know when u learn to write software that works
> and you test it adequately before wasting peoples' time.

Those are potentially volunteer servers, do you have the word 'volunteer' in your vocabulary? volunteer servers could have any varied configuration on their end. It is not up to the university to check every single connection and to make sure that everything works perfectly and as intended. Most volunteer connections are home based connection, not some professional hosting services running directly to a backbone. Thereby the reliability cannot be always guaranteed, thereby services available on the volunteer connection may not be generally the same as other volunteer connection. Last but not least, when one dedicates their connection to the public as a SoftEther VPN Gate server, there is a bit of a disclaimer indicating that the volunteers are still subjected to their local governing laws and not the Japanese law or any other specific country's laws. Therefore, it is usually up to volunteer's jurisdiction to make amends where needed. Needless to say, that if a connection cannot be made to some volunteer's host connection, it could be because that it is filtered.

Have you also checked to see if this issue is only with this software? that is, have you tried other VPN softwares and seen that you can acquire an IP and all correctly? The way you phrase things sure enough indicate your lack of troubleshooting capabilities and are quick to be angered when things don't work.

Then there is the sales pitch, you probably wouldn't have a clue what a sales pitch is considering the way you wrote your little speech.

'Pro-censorship and anti-privacy', sure go beef on a free lunch. Nobody is holding a gun to your head telling you that you must use this VPN software, there are plenty of others around. Probably some paid service would better suit you considering your monotonous attitude.

As an epilogue to your constant beef on a free project that has volunteers backing, you are better off beefing in Japanese where you'd get the appropriate treatment for your attitudes. I also haven't overlooked at the fact that your English is just as bad in different areas. Consider that before writing up some hate speech.

gimmEE77break

Post by gimmEE77break » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:57 am

BoredAus wrote:
"Have you also checked to see if this issue is only with this software? that is, have you tried other VPN softwares and seen that you can acquire an IP and all correctly? The way you phrase things sure enough indicate your lack of troubleshooting capabilities and are quick to be angered when things don't work."

As a matter of fact I am using another free vpn service that provides less IPs but works out of the box. VPNGate shows serious amateurish programming errors by rebooting machines on install. You get what you pay for and "volunteers" who cannot write code should be confined to some area on the internet where people do not waste their time trying to debug their "free" programs. A program is not free if you waste you time on a piece of junk software written by amateurs who don't know how to write good code.

There are serious questions that all these vpn servers may be honeypots designed to cull private data such as passwords, etc from users. I would not trust them with anything except google searches. And people who cannot write code cannot give reasonable assurances that your ip remains private or concealed at the other end.

Fix your DHCP problems with your code before blathering further. Thanks.

BoredAus

Post by BoredAus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:10 am

gimmEE77break wrote:
>> BoredAus wrote:
>> "Have you also checked to see if this issue is only with this
>> software? that is, have you tried other VPN softwares and seen that you can
>> acquire an IP and all correctly? The way you phrase things sure enough
>> indicate your lack of troubleshooting capabilities and are quick to be
>> angered when things don't work."
>>
gimmEE77break wrote:
> As a matter of fact I am using another free vpn service that provides less
> IPs but works out of the box. VPNGate shows serious amateurish programming
> errors by rebooting machines on install. You get what you pay for and
> "volunteers" who cannot write code should be confined to some
> area on the internet where people do not waste their time trying to debug
> their "free" programs. A program is not free if you waste you
> time on a piece of junk software written by amateurs who don't know how to
> write good code.
>

Amateurish errors by rebooting machines on install. You are just as amateurish as your so proclaimed 'amateur' programmer and contributors whom made this software and the community. You can't clearly describe your issue when I have asked for clarity but instead decide to repeat your pathetic reasons signifying your level of ignorance and intelligence.

No need to go re-iterate your lame excuses, nobody is forcing you to use this software. Nobody would care of your shallow argument.

gimmEE77break wrote:
> There are serious questions that all these vpn servers may be honeypots
> designed to cull private data such as passwords, etc from users. I would
> not trust them with anything except google searches. And people who cannot
> write code cannot give reasonable assurances that your ip remains private
> or concealed at the other end.
>

Right and so an open source software has no reasonable assurance when nobody let alone you could bother checking it. However you blatantly instead reputedly claim that the program is flawed without solid evidence other than drawing upon your conceited accusations assuming some lame computer crash, not offering DHCP leases and 'people who cannot write code cannot give reasonable assurance' is your way of justification for lame software made by 'amateurish' programmers and contributors.

gimmEE77break wrote:
> Fix your DHCP problems with your code before blathering further. Thanks.

There's no DHCP issues on my end, I have served at least 1000 VPN clients over time without any issues reported from any one of them. If the problem is so widespread I am sure this part of the forum would be littered with people requesting help on the exact same cause other than resorting to pathetic tantrums that only people like you would make. Heck, they probably would be more useful at providing information other than making baseless arguments and blaming on your so called 'amateur' programmers/contributors.

I am done, there is no need to feed on trolls like you. Come back when you have finally matured enough to understand your acts of stupidity on here. Nobody can see what your problem is, nobody has any of the issues you have mentioned in the exact order and with at least 70% of threads proving of such cause, you are the one that is blathering on without giving any insights into your setup. You are the one that is throwing around tantrum without any solid evidence and drawing upon falsified conclusions. Last but not least, you are the one that is blaming on some free lunch except you probably wouldn't have the guts to sue to chefs for free lunch but instead spread FUD and hope there are others to sympathise with you. I'd also would love to see how well this would hold up in a court case but let's first see how far your stupidity will take you first.