using VPNGate from linux.

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
deepthought

using VPNGate from linux.

Post by deepthought » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:44 am

I've managed to install softether on linux mint. How do I go about connecting to VPNGate servers?

juandedm

Re: using VPNGate from linux.

Post by juandedm » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:21 am

I'm on Linux Mint but never installed Softether. I simply installed openvpn through synaptic. Then you open a terminal windows and type

sudo openvpn <<your vpngate file>>

TCP doesn't work for me, so make sure you download a UDP file.

rollingscissors

Post by rollingscissors » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:24 pm

You'll notice that the SoftEther Linux client support is slim to none. Sure, you can use OpenVPN or tweak your system so that the L2TP/IPSec works in network-manager, but forget about native Linux Softether.

There are one or two scripts that exist, but you must know how to manually configure your routing table, so SoftEther is "experts only" until a working client is written by someone.

BoredAus

Post by BoredAus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:43 am

Whilst there are no fancy GUI SoftEther VPN for linux clients, there is however this guide:

http://lukeluo.blogspot.com/2013/11/how ... lient.html

deepthought

Post by deepthought » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

I've managed to get the client compiled and installed under linux. I just need help setting up the routing table for connection and disconnection, and actually getting the vpn to connect to a vpngate server

BoredAus

Post by BoredAus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 am

The link to the blogspot guide works for me in my case under linux as well. It details how to setup routing tables so that you get internet access via your virtual NIC device.

Getting success connection with a VPN Gate server is another story under linux I find. Most servers I find that I cannot connect through and as a result I have to keep trying on other VPN Gate servers. Though otherwise it works when there is a VPN Gate server that is able to accept a linux client via SoftEther VPN.