Why no Linux support?

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
blaxicrish

Re: Why no Linux support?

Post by blaxicrish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 pm

I would have to agree. It also seem that a great number of people using Softether would be linux users since linux is so common for servers. Linux users are also usually the ones to go for the 'Open Source' projects.

fromMars

Post by fromMars » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:18 am

I have made a script find a server and connect it automatically on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. check it here: https://github.com/fromMars/vgauto/].

You may have a try, it works perfectlly on my own PC, not tested on others though.

rollingscissors

Post by rollingscissors » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:54 pm

fromMars wrote:
> I have made a script find a server and connect it automatically on Ubuntu
> 12.04 LTS. check it here: https://github.com/fromMars/vgauto/].
>
> You may have a try, it works perfectlly on my own PC, not tested on
> others though.

Thanks for creating that!

I'm having limited sucess with it at the moment (running on a Debian system). The GFW blocks VPNGate.net, so I must use mirror sites. Is it possible to make the script use the mirrors? For example, the user should be able to save a text file with the mirror URLs for the script to use.

I simply pasted a mirror URL to line 95 of get_ip.py and could then have the top 10 servers to choose from.

My next problem was the virtual device. There was no device "vpn_vg" but a "vpn_vpn" did exist. Fixed that in line 27 of configs.py, to use the device_name "vpn" .

Finally, it gets to the "changing route" part. Another error comes up:

RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable

I'm not sure how to deal with that error, and the whole game stops dead. If the script would successfully direct all traffic through the new virtual adapter then we would have a working VPN.